The American Hospital Association NOVA Awards honor the bright stars of the hospital field that:
- improve community health status — whether through health care, economic or social initiatives
- are collaborative — joint efforts among health care systems, hospitals and other community organizations
The five 2013 winners were selected for their “effective, collaborative programs focused on improving community health.” All share common threads of reaching beyond their four walls with community partners.
- St. Joseph’s Hospital in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin championed an exhaustive approach to bettering its service area, from building a dental clinic to offering plots of hospital land for community gardens.
- Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes, Indiana intercepts serious health issues before they snowball by offering free, preventive health screenings across a 10-county region.
- Ephraim McDowell Health’s Hope clinic in Danville, Kentucky is reaching out to its rural patients by offering thousands of free visits, with a special focus on high utilizers.
- Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems in Bangor, Maine has helped develop an intricate web of IT systems across the state to better coordinate care and treat the chronically ill.
- Spectrum Health System in Grand Rapids, Michigan is using community health workers to better serve those with heart failure and diabetes.
Additional information & applications to nominate your local organization’s collaboration are available on aha.org